Skip to content

I must be nuts

I went for what was supposed to be a basic road bike ride yesterday morning. I had vague notions to ride to a friend’s house, but didn’t really think I was serious. Normally riding to a friend’s place is not a big deal, but this house is in Rancho Cucamonga. Oh, and I live in Eagle Rock.

I started out easy so I would have the energy to make it and for the most part did great. Well at least well enough to get so far that by the time I really wanted to quit and turn around I figured it would actually be easier to make it all the way. As I got closer I had these visions of Stan driving me home so I wouldn’t have to pedal all the way back. Or even if he drove me a few miles in the right direction it wouldn’t be as bad as riding the whole way. Any kind of mind trick to help pass the distance.

Finally after 2 hours and 45 minutes I pulled into his drive way. The Garmin also said something over 38 miles. Thankfully he was in his garage and not pissed off at seeing me ride into his yard unannounced. Actually he was impressed I did it. I didn’t call not really thinking I would make it before turning around. I did stop a couple of times for short periods but kept telling myself I was close and willed myself to think about about the fact I would have to pedal home. Fortunately he had no plans until later that afternoon and even decided to go to In ‘N Out to buy lunch!

So I pigged out and drank as much as I could stomach and hung out until I figured I wouldn’t puke as I rode toward home. The good news is that there was more downhill than uphill going back, but there was also now a headwind. Oh and the marine layer had burned off and I was exposed to the sun for the rest of the day.

The first few miles were a but tough as I worked out the deadness that had crept into my legs after stopping. Then I got into the groove for the next couple of miles as there was probably the sweetest section of downhill. Until. . .

It feels like something is off, the road is too bumpy. So I pull over and sure enough the rear tire is flat. Damn – 10 minutes or so to swap out the tube, checking the tire carefully for anything that could puncture the new tube. I really hate patching tires so I didn’t want to have another flat as I still had more than 20 miles to go. After packing the used tube into my jersey pocket and tossing a used CO2 cartridge and the tube box into a nearby trash can I started out once again. A smallish climb to another pretty good drop was a nice way to get moving again.

After 50 miles I was doing OK – still had a little water in the bottles left and some energy in the legs. The headwind was bareable as long the road wasn’t too open. If there were buildings or cover it was OK. Hit a stretch of open area and the work all of a sudden got more difficult. By the time I hit 60+ miles my feet started to hurt. This is a good indication that I was now “pedaling in squares.” Too much pressure on the balls of my feet. So I took a 10-15 minute break in a Monrovia business park. A nice and grassy area with shade where I finished the water in my bottles and took my shoes off to get some blood into my toes.

The rest of the way was rather painful on the feet but the legs hung in there. I stopped for some Gatorade in East Pasadena for some calories, e-lytes and fluid. By the time I unlocked and opened the door to the house every bit of me was exhausted and I doubt I will be able to sit on a bike saddle for a couple of days, but I made it round trip, saddle time, in a tad over 5 hours and 30 minutes. Certainly not a speed record, but considering all the stop lights, stop signs and breaks it wasn’t too bad.

The only downside once in the house? Two border collies wanted fed and exercised. EXERCISE? Yikes.

GPS Ride data from Garmin


{ 1 } Comments

  1. ronald | October 6, 2009 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

    very kooool man. i’m jealous at your stamina. that is a heck of a ride!

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *